- For International Students Wishing to Enrol in Okayama University
- For Prospective Students
- For Okayama University International Students
- International Student Advisor
- Formalities for Admission
- Dormitory for International Students
- Private Apartments
- Procedure of Requesting a Guarantor of Your Housing to the University
- Learning Japanese
- Living in Okayama University
- International Student Union, Okayama University
- Links for International Students
Okayama University has dormitories for international students. For further information, please refer to here.
Those who want to apply for the dormitory, please follow the necessary procedures from here.
All the dormitories are for single residents. Students accompanied by dependants cannot live in university dormitories. If you accompany your family, you have to find the apartment on your own. It is usually very difficult for foreigners to sign a lease from overseas. The Center for Global Partnerships and Education strongly recommends that you come to Japan alone first and invite your family after you have settled down.
Okayama University does not provide an agency service for private apartments. Therefore, you will need to look for an apartment yourself. There are many real estate firms nearby the university. You could also find a place while walking around town, and some properties are even posted at the University Coop on campus.
Generally, rent for a private apartment in Okayama ranges between 30,000 yen and 60,000 yen per month. At the time of application you may also need to pay a security deposit (two or three months’ rent) and key money, and agency fee.
In Japan, a guarantor(連帯保証人) is usually required when you rent a private housing. For international students who have difficulties in finding a guarantor, Okayama University can be their guarantor. As for the procedure of requesting a guarantor of your housing to the university, please refer here.